Thursday, October 24, 2013

20 Lessons I've Learned at 20: Lesson Sixteen

16.      You’re never in a boat alone.

 

Unless the biggest issue in your life is not being able to conquer eating a dozen bananas while falling from the sky with no parachute handcuffed to a toaster oven, or some other unique situation, listen up. This may ease a fear or calm your nerves, even if it may be temporary.
 
Sometimes one of my favorite things about the person I have grown to be is also my least favorite attribute. I am independent to a point that sometimes hinders my ability to fully let people in. I have a big heart and everything, but after learning lesson four I have come to know it is better to be alone than to be in the company of someone who personally drives you to misery.
 
The formulation above has set me up to spend a decent amount of time alone. Now before you start to go all puppy-eyes on me, you must know that I thoroughly enjoy being by myself. I always have. To me, it is a sign of maturity and satisfaction with the person you are. But the point is that even when we are alone, we are never without the comfort of knowing someone is facing a similar trial or obstacle.
 
And maybe the situation you’re in is mind-numbing or physical and emotionally draining. But the peace of mind in knowing you aren’t the only one to be facing the hazy future in a boat with one paddle can be comforting. You aren’t the first or only person to be facing financial worries. You aren’t the first and you won’t be the last one who doesn’t know if you made the right decision or who is taking your life down the right river. But just know when you’re in that boat and you seem lost and lonely, know there will always be someone paddling behind you. Even if that person is me eating a dozen bananas while falling from the sky with no parachute handcuffed to a toaster oven…
 
it’s an outlet. it’s an inspiration. it’s a gift. it’s a purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment