Thursday, October 10, 2013

20 Lessons I've Learned at 20: Lesson Nine

9.      Look up.

 
WARNING: This material may be too sassy for younger audiences.
 
We’ve all experienced it or have done it ourselves. That moment when you’re talking with someone about feeling broken hearted or pooped on by life and that special someone has his or her eyes down on a screen. I say screen because at this point, people have phones built into watches for crying out loud. And all you want to do is SCREAM. You want to scream:

“Oh, I guarantee that tattoo idea you’re pinning on Pinterest is so much cooler than life pooping on me.” Or, “Wow! That tweet you just sent to Busta Rhymes sounds super compelling and noteworthy!”
 
But, instead, you continue on your conversation with the fascinating brick wall of a friend you have, and pretend it is the norm.
 
On a more serious note, this lesson applies to other situations as well. Sometimes life does seem to be pooping on us—it is one thing after another. I spilled half of a jar of mushroom soup on my sweater then accidentally punched a wall. But instead of looking down and pouting, I remembered I was Taylor Swift (read lesson eight) and looked up. I looked up to the fact my mushroom soup would dry and that someone was watching over me with a giggle.
 
 
We've all heard the saying, "when life get's you down, get back up." But I'm here to tell you that you don't even have to exert that much effort. Just merely look up. Look up from your phone screen, look up from life, and look into the eyes of someone who needs you. Chances are they will be a more beautiful sight anyways.
 
 
it’s an outlet. it’s an inspiration. it’s a gift. it’s a purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment